This is a free Underwriter Resume example that covers objectives and tips to gets you the best job. This professional resume template with action words will help you in writing perfect CV for the desired Underwriter Job.
Underwriter Job Description
- Reviews insurance applications to evaluate, classify, and rate individuals and groups for insurance and accepts or rejects applications, following establishment underwriting standards.
- Examines such documents as application form, inspection report, insurance maps, and medical reports to determine degree of risk from such factors as applicant financial standing, age, occupation, accident experience, and value and condition of property.
- Reviews company records to determine amount of insurance in force on single risk or group of closely related risks, and evaluates possibility of losses due to catastrophe or excessive insurance.
- Writes to field representatives, medical personnel, and other insurance or inspection companies to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain company underwriting policies.
- Declines excessive risks. Authorizes reinsurance of policy when risk is high.
- Decreases value of policy when risk is substandard to limit company obligation, and specifies applicable endorsements, or applies rating to ensure safe and profitable distribution of risks, using rate books, tables, code books, computer records, and other reference materials.
- Workers typically specialize by type of insurance coverage, such as life, health, property and liability, or multi-line insurance, and by individual or group underwriting.
Sample Underwriter Resume Template
In this section you have to include your Name, current home address, Mobile telephone number, Landline telephone number and your personal email address which is currently used.
- Full name
- Present and permanent addresses
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
Professional or career objective
Your objective is the one that clearly underlines your aims and aspirations in that profession. For example a Management Graduate will have to write an objective which is concise and precisely speaks about his role that he wants to play in the Organization.
Sample Objective for Underwriter
To utilize analytical, communications, training and language skills in a financial institution or funding foundation.
If you have any major Career Achievements or any Appreciation then this is the section where they should be listed. For Example an Underwriter can add his/her career achievements like,
- More than three years of experience ranging from Compliance Administrator to Underwriter with a major, multi-branch mortgage company.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prepare and make presentations to individuals or groups.
- A team player with good management, coaching, teaching and communication skills necessary to promote services or concepts.
- Capable of rapid orientation and open to company-sponsored training in new areas which pose good career potential.
Previous work experience plays an important role while applying for a Job and hence it should be well presented in the resume. Most of the questions during your resume will be related to the previous job that you had and hence you should be well prepared for it. You should begin with putting the name of the organization that you worked for, the duration of your work and the post or the designation at which you were working. After this, you can effectively place points in a bulleted format that talk about the responsibilities and the achievements that you may have achieved during your stay at the previous organization. The work experience of an experienced Underwriter applying for a job would look like,
Rijul Properties, Mumbai, 2006-Present
- Responsible for underwriting complex commercial property referral accounts up to $200 million covering one-half of United States for property and casualty carrier for all lines.
- Advise and provide support for field staff and agents.
- Assist in development of training programs and manuals.
- Interpret state insurance regulations and legislation.
- Review corporate financial data and participate in audits.
- Write underwriting manuals for company personnel explaining underwriting philosophy and complicated insurance concepts.
Srinivas Associates, Mumbai, 2003-2006
- Evaluated risks and contributed to departmental marketing through personal calls on agents to provide assistance, generate new business, and educate.
- Trained Underwriter Trainees and Underwriters.
- Authorized work from line Underwriters within Branch Letter of Authority.
- Responsible for underwriting commercial packages for metropolitan and rural agencies.
- Promoted from Assistant Commercial Underwriter to Underwriter and to Senior Underwriter.
Bright Associates, Mumbai, 2000-2003
- Processed residential loan applications from initial application to closing.
- Assisted busy marketing representative in the origination process.
- Reviewed borrowers’ loan applications to insure completeness of data; verified information listed on applications and obtained additional documents required for sale of loans to secondary market.
- Dealt with borrowers, attorneys, brokers and underwriters.
- Walked borrowers through the application process and trained assistant underwriters in new branches.
Education and Certification
The academic details need to be mentioned in a tabulated format with respect to the degrees or the courses that the candidate would have undertaken in the past. The latest degree or course comes first followed by the last completed course and hence forth going backwards. For example an Underwriter who has completed post graduation or graduation course is applying for a Job or to a company or an organization then his/her details would be like,
- M B A
Poddar Management Institute, Mumbai, 2000
- B Com.
Poddar Management Institute, Mumbai, 1997
If you have won any competitions national or international then they could also be highlighted here. For example an Underwriter could lay stress on any exams that he may have given or any seminars or conferences attended. If you are a part of any honorary society or any nonprofit organization then that could also be added here.
The honors and the activities section of an Underwriter would look like,
- Employee of the Year Award at Srinivas Associates.
The References are generally required so that your present employer can gauge you through the eyes of the people who you were associated with or have worked for. So your teachers or college professors’ details could be placed here. Or your past employer who you would have worked under can also be used as a reference. Ensure that the people whose names you enter know you well and do inform them that you are placing their names as reference because many companies call to confirm. For example the references section of an Underwriter could also look like,
Mr. Bharat Jain
Salary Range of an Underwriter
- The average salary received is approximately Rs. 15000 per month. This works out to an annual pay package of 1.8 Lakhs to 2 Lakhs per annum CTC.
- The salary from an American perspective works out to be $6500 per Month.
Note: This salary may be variable and it may change from organization to organization.
Frequently asked Underwriter Interview Question
- Please give me a specific example of how you obtained information to solve a problem? What was the problem and how did you decide what information you required?
- What steps did you take on the last occasion that you detected the cause of a company operating error?
- You handle a project that requires systematic data acquisition and accurate analysis, what steps do you take?
- What is your approach to managing important projects?
- When faced with a work-related problem, what steps do you take to address the issue?
- On the last occasion that you went out of your way to analyze the cause of a problem, how did you proceed?
- What steps do you take when a colleague is impeding your progress at work?