This is a free Veterinary Assistant Resume example that covers objectives and tips to gets you the best job. This professional resume template with action words will help you in writing perfect CV for the desired Veterinary Assistant Job.
Veterinary Assistant Job Description
- Performs variety of animal health care duties to assist Veterinarian in settings such as veterinarians’ clinics, zoos, research laboratories, kennels, and commercial facilities.
- Prepares treatment room for examination of animals, and holds or restrains animals during examination, treatment, or inoculation.
- Administers injections, performs venipunctures, applies wound dressings, cleans teeth, and takes vital signs of animal, under supervision of veterinarian.
- Prepares patient, medications, and equipment for surgery, and hands instruments and materials to veterinarian during surgical procedures.
- Performs routine laboratory tests, cares for and feeds laboratory animals, and assists professional personnel with research projects in commercial, public health, or research laboratories.
- Inspects products or carcasses when employed in food processing plants to ensure compliance with health standards.
- May assist veterinarian to artificially inseminate animals. May bathe and groom small animals.
Sample Veterinary Assistant Resume Template
In this section you have to include your Name, current home address, Mobile telephone number, Landline telephone number and your personal email address which is currently used.
- Full name
- Present and permanent addresses
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
Professional or career objective
Your objective is the one that clearly underlines your aims and aspirations in that profession. For example a Management Graduate will have to write an objective which is concise and precisely speaks about his role that he wants to play in the Organization.
Sample Objective for Veterinary Assistant
To obtain a Customer Service / Veterinary Assistant position where there is a need to act as a liaison between the provider and the patient.
If you have any major Career Achievements or any Appreciation then this is the section where they should be listed. For Example a Veterinary Assistant can add his/her career achievements like,
- Familiar with medical record keeping
- Knowledgeable in small animal restraint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with multiple personality types
- Good filing and organizational skills
- Experience in handling confidential paperwork
- Ability to maintain client database / records
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software
- Ability to Multi Task
- Good Customer-Relations background
- Resourceful problem solver with proven ability to bring quick resolution to challenging situations as well as build lasting relationships with vendors and customers.
- Answer multi-lined phone system
Previous work experience plays an important role while applying for a Job and hence it should be well presented in the resume. Most of the questions during your resume will be related to the previous job that you had and hence you should be well prepared for it. You should begin with putting the name of the organization that you worked for, the duration of your work and the post or the designation at which you were working. After this, you can effectively place points in a bulleted format that talk about the responsibilities and the achievements that you may have achieved during your stay at the previous organization. The work experience of an experienced Veterinary Assistant applying for a job would look like,
Sikder Veternity Hospital, Mumbai, 2006-Present
- Assisted with x-rays and surgery
- obtained blood test results on Lasercyte, IDEXX Vet test and Vetlyte machines
- ecorded results of stick test and specific gravity for urinalysis
- Stained slides for microscopy
- Performed temperature, pulse rate and respiratory rates on patients
- Administered fluids
- Fed and medicated hospitalized patients
- Tracked controlled substances
- Helped with euthanized animals
- Filled prescriptions
- Receptionist duties
Jingle Animal Hospital, Mumbai, 2003-2006
- Performed blood draws
- Set up fecals and read them under a microscope
- Cleaned ears and trimmed nails
- Drew up vaccinations
- Used computer to access patient records and appointments
- Prepared new puppy and urinary specimen packets
Deer Grove Animal Hospital, Mumbai,2000-2003
- Assisted Veterinarian in patient rooms
- Performed dentals
- Inserted intravenous catheters into patients
- Incubated patients for surgery and dentals
- Expressed anal glands on patients
- Packed instruments and sterilized in autoclave
Education and Certification
The academic details need to be mentioned in a tabulated format with respect to the degrees or the courses that the candidate would have undertaken in the past. The latest degree or course comes first followed by the last completed course and hence forth going backwards. For example a Veterinary Assistant who has completed post graduation or graduation course is applying for a Job or to a company or an organization then his/her details would be like,
- Veterinary Assistant Certification
Balchandran Medical Collage, Mumbai, 2000
- Associate Degree of Applied Science in Ophthalmic Technology
Triton College, Mumbai, 1999
- B Sc.
Trinton Collage, Mumbai, 1998
If you have won any competitions national or international then they could also be highlighted here. For example a Veterinary Assistant could lay stress on any exams that he may have given or any seminars or conferences attended. If you are a part of any honorary society or any nonprofit organization then that could also be added here.
The honors and the activities section of a Veterinary Assistant would look like,
- Received numerous letters of recommendation, and appreciation from customers, and management.
The References are generally required so that your present employer can gauge you through the eyes of the people who you were associated with or have worked for. So your teachers or college professors’ details could be placed here. Or your past employer who you would have worked under can also be used as a reference. Ensure that the people whose names you enter know you well and do inform them that you are placing their names as reference because many companies call to confirm. For example the references section of a Veterinary Assistant could also look like,
Mr. Damoder Sikder
Sr. Veterinary Surgeon
Sikder Veternity Hospitals
Salary Range of a Veterinary Assistant
- The average salary received is approximately Rs. 5000 per month. This works out to an annual pay package of 0.60 Lakhs to 1 Lakhs per annum CTC.
- The salary from an American perspective works out to be $3000 per Month.
Note: This salary may be variable and it may change from organization to organization.
Frequently asked Veterinary Assistant Interview Question
- During the last year, when your replacement hasn’t shown up and your manager asked you to stay late, what percentage of the time have you stayed late?
- Everybody misses work sometimes. What are some legitimate reasons to miss work?
- Two hours before you are scheduled to arrive at work, you learn weather is going to be bad and traffic will be worse. How do you respond?
- If your shift ends at 3 p.m. and your replacement hasn’t arrived by 3:15 p.m., what do you do?
- The schedule shows 8, however only 5 showed up. How does that make you feel? What would you do?
- How many scheduled days did you miss during the last three months you worked?
- You are late for work. You enter the building and notice a non-compliant resident who is drinking a soda but appears to have a wet him/her self. How do you respond?
- How do you react to a sense of being overwhelmed with unfinished work ten minutes past your shift deadline when you find a new resident in need?
- How do you respond to crabby people in pain?
- If you encountered a resident that was characteristically upset and/or difficult what would you do?
- If a resident has just expired and their family has just arrived at the facility, how would you respond?